Go back to normal view
ACT OF UNIFORMITY 1662
The foundation in Basingstoke of our United Reformed Church (then Congregational) dates back at least as far as 1663 when an Independent Community was formed in Basingstoke shortly after the Act of Uniformity in 1662. As a result of this Act some 2,000 Ministers of the then established Church resigned their livings rather than be untrue to conscience and beliefs. One of these men, Revd John Hook, a member of a Hampshire family, ministered to the Independent Community in Basingstoke from 1663 until his death in 1710. The first regular 'Meeting House' where the Church assembled in 1695 was in Cross Street. This was demolished in the mid 1960's as part of the redevelopment of Basingstoke.